When Dangerous Roads Cause Car Accident (Part 1)
March 24, 2014
In many cases, car accidents are caused by the negligence of some driver on the road. However, in some cases, dangerous road conditions may either cause car accidents or contribute to the results of these collisions being far worse than they would have been otherwise. When dangerous road conditions cause car accidents:
- The party responsible for keeping the roadway safe (or for designing or constructing a safe roadway) can be held liable for accident victims’ injuries and losses.
- Car accident victims will have the best chances of obtaining the compensation they need and deserve by working with experienced attorneys, like the Portland car accident lawyers at the Savage Law Firm.
Below and in an upcoming second part of this blog, we will highlight some of the specific roadway dangers that can contribute to car accidents, as well as who may be to blame when these dangerous road conditions cause collisions.
Some Specific Examples of Roadway Dangers
Roadway dangers that may increase the incidence or severity of collisions can come in many forms, with some of the more common examples of these hazards being roads with:
- Insufficient signage and/or reflectors (such as signs that warn drivers of merging traffic, crossing animals or upcoming railroad crossings)
- Improperly functioning intersection signals
- Poor lighting for nighttime driving
- Inadequate lane divisions and/or reflectors
- No guardrails or barriers either between lanes of traffic that move in opposite directions or on the edge roadways that border cliffs (or sudden drop offs)
- Excessive potholes, cracks and/or uncovered manholes.
Additionally, roads that have been poorly designed or constructed can present significant dangers to motorists, may increase the risk of accidents and, as a result, may be the focus of car accident lawsuits.
Stay posted for the second part of this blog, which will take a closer look at the parties that can be held liable when dangers road conditions cause traffic accidents.
Find Out If You Have a Case: Portland & Seattle Lawyers
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident that may have been caused – even in part – by dangerous road conditions, the Portland car accident attorneys at the Savage Law Firm encourage you to learn more about your rights and case by setting up a free initial consult.
We represent clients in Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle, and we have been dedicated to advocating the rights of the injured since 1977. While one of our primary goals is to help each of our clients recover from the financial setbacks caused by car accidents (so they can get the medical care they need), we are also committed to working tirelessly to help our clients resolve their cases as beneficially and efficiently as possible.
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page.