What Can I Do to Protect Myself from Medical Malpractice?
April 28, 2015
Quite a bit – and being informed and proactive is one of the best first steps to take in protecting yourself against medical malpractice. Below, we’ll highlight some relatively simple steps to take to minimize the chances you will be hurt by medical negligence.
If, however, you have already been injured by the mistakes made by doctors, nurses and/or other medical professionals, you can get experienced help pursuing justice and compensation with the experienced Portland medical malpractice attorneys at the Savage Law Firm.
Protecting Yourself from Medical Malpractice: Here’s What You Can Do
Research doctors before seeing them – Ask your friends, family and colleagues for referrals, and do some online research for any physicians you are considering seeing. You can learn a lot about medical professionals through this research process, and it could help you avoid seeing a doctor who may have questionable experience and/or a poor track record of effectively treating patients.
- Ask questions – Before you see a doctor, it’s a good idea to write down the questions you have and want to ask. Given that doctors typically only spend about 10 to 15 minutes with any given patient, having your questions prepared can mean that you get the most out of this meeting and that you get the answers you need.
Also, we want to point out that, if a doctor does not want to answer your questions (or cuts you off, gives you unhelpful/odd answers, etc.), this can be a clear sign that you need to find another doctor who is able and willing to provide you with the level of medical attention you need and deserve.
- Get a second opinion – When you receive a diagnosis or the results of a test, it’s always a good idea to get a second opinion from another physician. In fact:
- A good, experienced doctor will not take issue with you wanting a second opinion and may even encourage it.
- How diagnostic test results are read by different specialists is not always consistent or accurate.
- Misdiagnosis is one of the most common and dangerous forms of medical malpractice.
Portland Medical Malpractice Attorneys at the Savage Law Firm
Have you been the target of medical malpractice? If so, you can rely on the Portland medical malpractice attorneys at the Savage Law Firm for experienced help and aggressive legal advocacy. For more than three decades, our lawyers have been devoted to providing each of our clients with personal attention, respect and the highest quality legal services.
At the Savage Law Firm, our commitment to meeting the highest professional standards of legal representation motivates us to consistently build our clients the strongest possible cases, be accessible to our clients at every stage of their case and do whatever it takes to help them obtain the best possible outcomes.