Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Statistics (Part 1)
April 14, 2014
Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are one of the leading causes of death and disability in the U.S. In contrast to organic brain injuries that are caused by illnesses, diseases or genetic conditions, TBI is caused by some external force impacting the head and injuring the brain, either due to damaging the brain as it hits the skull or penetrating the skull and piercing the brain.
Below and in an upcoming second installment of this blog, we will highlight some eye-opening traumatic brain injury statistics that have been presented by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the National Institutes of Health and other credible organizations. These TBI statistics can underscore the prevalence of traumatic brain injury in the U.S., as well as the most common causes of these injuries.
Incidence of TBI
- Between 1.7 million and 2 million Americans sustain a new traumatic brain injury each year.
- This is equivalent to one new TBI being sustained in the U.S. about every 15 seconds.
- While more than 52,000 people die as a result of a traumatic brain injury each year, most of these deaths typically occur either immediately after the injury or within two hours of the accident that caused the TBI.
- Every 5 minutes, someone in the U.S. is permanently disabled as a result of having sustained a traumatic brain injury.
- While TBIs cause more than 275,000 people to be admitted to hospitals in the U.S. each year, these injuries also contribute to about 1.365 million emergency room visits annually.
- More than 33 percent of people who sustain a severe traumatic brain injury were reported to be intoxicated at the time of the accident that caused their TBI.
Look for the upcoming second part of this blog for some more TBI statistics and information.
Portland Brain Injury Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm: Advocates for the Injured
If you are recovering from a traumatic brain injury that may have been caused by someone else’s recklessness or negligence, it’s time to contact the Portland brain injury attorneys at the Savage Law Firm. For more than three decades, we have been devoted to providing each of our clients with personal attention, respect and the highest quality legal services.
At the Savage Law Firm, our commitment to meeting the highest professional standards of legal representation motivates us to consistently:
- Build our clients the strongest possible cases
- Be accessible to our clients at every stage of their case
- Do whatever it takes to help them obtain the best possible outcomes.
Let’s Discuss Your Options for Compensation
Helping you recover from the financial setbacks caused by brain injuries is one of our primary goals. Our Portland brain injury attorneys encourage you to learn more about your rights and case by setting up a free initial consult. We represent clients in communities in both Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page.