Study Finds Portland Traffic Is 9th Worst in U.S.
July 7, 2014
Portland traffic ranks as the ninth worst in the nation, according to a recent study conducted and published by TomTom Travel Index. In fact, as this study found:
- Portland traffic is worse than the traffic in Boston, Chicago, Houston and various other major cities.
- The time it takes Portland drivers to get from point A to point B typically takes about 22 percent longer during rush hour traffic (as opposed to traveling during low-traffic periods).
- The worst times to be driving on Portland roadways when it comes to traffic are typically Thursdays, with Thursday morning and Thursday evenings being the highest traffic times in a given week (in contrast, Monday mornings and Friday evenings tend to be the lightest in terms of Portland traffic).
- A Portland driver who regularly commutes 30 minutes to work each way Monday through Friday will, on average, waste about 71 hours in traffic every year.
Implications of the Study’s Findings
While the findings of this study may be shocking, they also could have some important implications in terms of:
- City and road construction planning – Specifically, these findings may provide some insight as to what roadways need to be expanded, where new roads need to be built, etc. in order to try to alleviate the significant traffic issues in Portland.
- Road safety – While alleviating traffic is likely one issue that may come out of the findings of this study, it’s also quite possible that concerns regarding roadway safety and reducing the incidence of car accidents may be of primary concern. In fact, shedding light on the significance of Portland’s traffic issues naturally ushers in the topic of motor vehicle accidents and road safety, as there is an inherently increased risk of accidents during high-traffic periods.
How Portland officials will respond to the study’s findings – specifically, whether they will make any noticeable efforts to alleviate traffic and decrease the incidence of car accidents – remains to be seen.
Portland Car Accident Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm
If you’ve been involved or injured in a car accident, contact the Portland car accident attorneys at the Savage Law Firm. Since 1977, we have been providing car accident victims with the highest quality legal services to help them obtain the compensation they need and deserve.
At the Savage Law Firm, our commitment to meeting the highest professional standards of legal representation motivates us to consistently build our clients the strongest possible cases, be accessible to our clients at every stage of their case and do whatever it takes to help them obtain the best possible outcomes.
Contact Our Portland Car Accident Lawyers Today
Helping you recover from the financial setbacks caused by traffic accidents is one of our primary goals. Our Portland car accident attorneys encourage you to learn more about your rights and case by setting up a free initial consult. We represent clients in communities in both Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page.