‘Share the Road’ with Riders, NHTSA Notes for Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month
May 8, 2015
With May commencing Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, officials at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) are reminding all motorists to Share the Road with riders, as “a motorcyclist has the same rights, privileges and responsibilities as any other motorist on the roadway.”
NHTSA Underscores Importance of Rider Safety via Motorcycle Accident Stats
Highlighting the importance of Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, the NHTSA has pointed to some key statistical findings regarding motorcycle accidents in the U.S. These stats are from 2013 data (the most recent year for which complete data is currently available):
- Nearly 4,700 people were killed in fatal motorcycle accidents.
- About 88,000 others were injured in motorcycle wrecks.
- While motorcycles only comprise about 3 percent of all registered vehicles in the U.S., they account for about 14 percent of the highway-related fatalities.
- Riders are about 26 times more likely than people in passenger vehicles to be killed in a fatal traffic accident (per vehicle mile traveled).
- While about 1 in every 4 riders killed in fatal crashes did not have a valid motorcycle license, about 40 percent of those killed in single-vehicle collisions were alcohol impaired at the time of the crash.
NHTSA Riding Tips: How to Reduce Your Risk of Motorcycle Accidents
- Wear a DOT-approved helmet and other protective gear.
- Obey all traffic laws.
- Don’t ride if you don’t have a motorcycle license.
- Ride in the middle of the lane where other motorists can see you.
- Never ride if you are impaired.
Noting the importance of Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx has stated:
Sharing the road means looking out for your neighbors, whether driving, riding, or walking – and when everyone obeys the rules of the road we all travel more safely… It’s especially important now as the weather gets warmer and more motorcyclists will be out on the road – we must look out for their safety.
Portland Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm
Have you been hurt in a motorcycle accident or in any type of motor vehicle collision? If so, you can rely on the Portland motor vehicle accident lawyers at the Savage Law Firm for experienced help with your financial recovery. Since 1977, our lawyers have been devoted to providing each of our clients with personal attention, respect and the highest quality legal services.
We realize how devastating motor vehicle accidents can be – that is why our lawyers are here to aggressively defend your rights to both justice and compensation. While this means that our Portland lawyers will work diligently to help you tell your stories in court, it also means that our attorneys and dedicated staff will vigorously stand up to insurers and others outside of the courtroom to ensure that our clients are able to obtain the settlements they deserve.
Categories: Motor Vehicle Accidents