Protect Yourself: 6 Steps to Take After Car Accidents (Pt. 2)
April 30, 2014
Concluding Protect Yourself: 6 Steps to Take After Car Accidents, below we will discuss the final three steps that are important to take after getting into motor vehicle accidents. Being diligent about following these steps can be critical to preserving your rights to compensation.
4. Take pictures – This is a crucial step that can save you a lot of headaches in the future. Use any camera you have available (cellphone cameras can make this step very easy), and take as many pictures as you can of the damage caused to your vehicle, other involved vehicles, surrounding objects that may have been involved in the wreck and potentially even the injuries you or your passengers sustained in the accident.
These photos can be critical evidence in the future, as they can help support your contentions regarding who may have been at fault in causing the accident and the level of damage caused by it.
As with the information you have collected from other motorists, it’s usually a smart idea to email the pictures you have taken to yourself so that you have a backup copy of them in your inbox that is easily accessible from any location.
5. Call your insurer – In many cases, auto insurance policies have specific terms regarding how soon after traffic accidents the policyholder is required to contact the insurance company and report the accident. Make sure you know this time frame and that you call your insurer as soon as is reasonably possible after the collision to report it.
Things to inform the insurer about will be the facts of the collision, namely:
- Where the accident happened
- When the accident happened (the date and time)
- The involved parties (and all of their insurance/contact information)
What you should not do when discussing the collision with your insurance company is accept any fault for causing the car accident. Admitting that you may have contributed to the collision (even in part) can substantially hurt your claims to compensation later.
6. Call the Savage Law Firm – If there is only one thing you are able to do after car accidents, make sure that it is to call the Portland car accident lawyers at the Savage Law Firm. The fact is that, after car accidents, you will likely have to fight insurers for the full amount of compensation you deserve, and having an experienced advocate on your side will be critical to ensuring you get the payouts you need and deserve so that you can focus on recovering.
Portland Car Accident Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm
For more than three decades, the Portland car accident attorneys at the Savage Law Firm have been devoted to providing each of our clients with personal attention, respect and the highest quality legal services. While this means that we will work diligently to help our clients tell their stories in court, it also means that our attorneys and dedicated staff will vigorously stand up to insurers and others outside of the courtroom to ensure that our clients are able to obtain the settlements they deserve.
Let’s Talk about Your Rights
Helping you recover from the financial setbacks caused by traffic accidents is one of our primary goals. Our Portland car accident attorneys encourage you to learn more about your rights and case by setting up a free initial consult. We represent clients in communities in both Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page.