Product Liability: How Safe is Your Car?
January 1, 2014
Drivers often get behind the wheel of their automobiles without considering product liability or the safety records of the cars they are driving. Before purchasing an automobile, it is always wise to check out the monthly recall reports issued by the Department of Transportation (DOT) to determine if the car you are considering purchasing ranks among the safest regarding product liability.
Every year, and sometimes even monthly, we read reports about various defects in cars, and in some cases, we hear unfortunate stories about fatal accidents occurring due to these defects. When we’re driving our cars, we have the right to believe that the cars we are driving are safe and will deliver us to our destinations safely providing we are responsible and courteous drivers ourselves.
Each year many automobile injuries occur due to defects in the following areas:
- Tire defects causing blowouts and subsequent loss of control of the vehicle.
- Cruise controls causing vehicles to accelerate without warning.
- Faulty wiring in the vehicle causing fires to begin suddenly and without warning.
- Air-bag failure involving air-bags rupturing suddenly, for no apparent reason, causing broken bones, burn injuries, and loss of control of the automobile.
- Seatbelt failures allowing individuals, strapped in, to be thrown forward causing serious and sometimes fatal injuries.
- Trucks and SUV’s prone to roll due to the top-heavy design defects.
- Gas tanks that rupture and start fires due to faulty lines, and/or defects in the design.
Product Liability and Recent Recalls
After receiving numerous complaints, on November 1, 2013, Ford Motor Company announced that they were issuing a recall of more than 2,600 Ford Focus Electric cars due to the hazard of a power loss while driving involving the wheels of the electric car.
Portland Product Liability Representation
Contact Portland attorneys at Savage Law Firm concerning injuries you or a loved one received due to car defects. We will partner with you to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve and that is rightfully yours.