How to Prepare Your Car for Winter: 7 Tips (Pt. 3)
October 7, 2014
Concluding our blog series How to Prepare Your Car for Winter: 7 Tips, below are some final tips that can help you prepare your car for winter driving.
Tip 5 – Check your car’s battery and electrical system
Electrical problems with a vehicle can be frustrating and devastating, as they can leave a car inoperable. To avoid such problems that could leave you and your family stranded on the road in the dead of winter, make sure that your car’s:
- Battery is working well. If not or if it’s on its way out, replace it now so you don’t forget to do so before it ends up dying on you.
- Electrical system is in good working order.
Tip 6 – Create a winter safety kit for all of your cars
This is an easy thing you can do that can save you significant headaches in the future if you end up having car problems during winter. To prepare your car for winter with this tip, put the winter safety kit in a plastic storage bin, and keep it in your vehicle’s truck. This kit should include the following types of items:
- Batteries, a car cellphone charger and possibly even a throwaway cellphone so you can contact others for help if your vehicle has a serious problem you can’t fix on your own
- Jumper cables, a screwdriver and other items that can help you make smaller, quick fixes to your vehicle
- Blankets, an extra jacket and gloves to keep you warm if you have to wait in cold conditions for your car to get towed (or for any help to come)
- Flares, water and nonperishable food items.
You may even add other items like a radio or magazines for kids, depending on who you typically ride in the car with. As you prepare this winter safety kit, consider doing so for every vehicle your family members drive.
Tip 7 – Review techniques for driving on icy roads
Regardless of whether you have driven in icy or snowy conditions in the past, take a little bit of time to review the techniques for driving when cars skid. Make sure you know how to properly handle your vehicle, and take the time to teach any new drivers in your family if this is their first winter driving.
Portland Car Accident Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm
Have you been hurt in a car accident or any type of traffic accident? If so, it’s time to contact the experienced Portland car accident lawyers at the Savage Law Firm. For more than three decades/since 1977, our attorneys have been dedicated to providing car accident victims with the highest quality legal services.
Contact Our Portland Car Accident Lawyers Today
Helping you recover from the financial setbacks caused by car accidents is one of our primary goals. Our Portland car accident attorneys encourage you to learn more about your rights and case by setting up a free initial consult.
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page.
We represent clients in communities in both Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.