Styker’s Rejuvenate and ABG II hip implant systems have been the focus of both a recall and hundreds of lawsuits due to the serious complications they have reportedly caused patients to sustain. In fact, like other hip implant systems that have come under fire in recent years, the Stryker implants have been linked to the development of:
- Metal poisoning or metallosis, as the components in these devices erode, release metal ions into patients’ bloodstreams and cause them to experience extreme pain and inflammation.
- Necrosis (tissue death) and bone fractures at the implant site
- Severe hip pain and an increased risk of hip dislocation
- Hip implant failures.
Any of these serious Stryker hip implant complications can require patients to have to undergo one or multiple revisions surgeries, which are invasive, risky and extremely expensive.
2012 Stryker Hip Implant Recall
In July 2012, Stryker officially recalled and stopped producing both the Rejuvenate and ABG II hip implant devices. At that time, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had reportedly received more than 60 reports of serious Stryker hip implant complications, and researchers’ had published studies regarding the high rates of failure associated with these devices (namely, that some Stryker hip implants were reportedly failing within 5 years of implantation, despite the fact they were intended to last for 15 to 20 years).
In the aftermath of the recall:
- More than 500 lawsuits have been filed against the Stryker Corporation regarding its defective hip implants. These cases all generally allege that Stryker failed to adequately test the safety of its hip implants and failed to warn the public about the risks of serious injuries associated with these devices.
- These cases have been consolidated in a Stryker hip implant multidistrict litigation (MDL 2441, In RE: Stryker Rejuvenate and ABG II Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation) to facilitate the pretrial process.
Given that thousands of patients received Stryker hip implants from 2009 through the 2012 recall, it is likely that more patients will experience hip implant failures in the coming years and that, as a result, the number of Stryker hip implant lawsuits filed on behalf of these patients will continue to increase.
Portland Stryker Hip Implant Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm
At the Savage Law Firm, our Portland hip implant attorneys are experienced at handling claims for patients injured by the dangerous Stryker hip implant devices. While we are dedicated to providing injured hip implant patients with personal attention and the highest quality legal services, we are also committed to helping them obtain the justice and compensation they need and deserve.
For more than 30 years, our Portland attorneys have been aggressive advocates for people injured by defective medical devices, and we have a proven track record of success when it comes to handling Stryker hip implant claims. When injured people choose to work with us, they can trust that we will work diligently to build them the strongest possible cases, that we will be accessible to them at every stage of their case and that we will do whatever it takes to help them resolve their case as favorably as possible.
Contact Attorney’s Experienced in Stryker Hip Implant Cases
Helping you recover from the financial setbacks caused by defective medical devices is one of our primary goals. Our Portland hip implant attorneys welcome you to learn more about your rights and case by setting up a free initial consult. We represent clients in Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page.