Portland Jury Awards Largest Child Sex Abuse Verdict Ever against DHS to Two Victims in Abused in Foster Care
December 28, 2014
The Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) has to pay $4.1 million to two girls for failing to protect them while they were in foster care. This marks the single largest child sex abuse verdict ever handed down against the Oregon DHS.
How the Child Sex Abuse Verdict Came to Be: Details of the Case
According to court documents associated with this case, the two victims were 2 and 4 years old when the Oregon DHS handed them over to Kimberly Vollmer for foster care. As the plaintiffs’ attorneys pointed out in this case:
- Vollmer had a highly questionable if not disturbing record, with a 2005 hospitalization for cutting her arms and face, as well as a history of repeated medical negligence against patients that led to her getting fired.
- The Oregon DHS employee who had approved Vollmer as a foster parent had failed to run a background check on Vollmer through the Portland Police Bureau’s data system.
- In addition the fact that the Oregon DHS may have made a bad decision in allowing Vollmer to be a foster parent, it compounded this by letting her have up to 8 children at a time (even though she was only supposed to have three foster children at most).
- When the girls finally came forward to explain some of the abuse, medical and psychological exams confirmed that the girls had been the victims of physical and sexual abuse.
After the defense rested, it only took the Portland jury three hours to come to the groundbreaking child sex abuse verdict, awarding:
- $2 million to each victim for her pain and suffering
- An additional $50,000 for each victim’s recovery needs (such as future counseling for the foreseeable future).
Portland Child Sex Abuse Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm
If you or someone you love has been the subject of child sex abuse, you can count on us to advocate your rights and help you hold your abusers accountable in civil court. For more than 30 years, the Portland child sex abuse attorneys at the Savage Law Firm have been dedicated to:
- Defending the rights of sexual abuse survivors
- Helping them shed light on the heinous actions of their abusers
- Ultimately helping them obtain both the justice and compensation they need and deserve.
Although we understand that no amount of money can ever make up for child sex abuse, we also know that helping abuse survivors obtain compensation from their abusers can be pivotal to getting access to the counseling and other long-term treatments they may need to deal with the psychological damage caused by the abuse. One of our central goals is to help child sex abuse survivors get the justice they need so they can reclaim their lives and futures.
Contact Us Today
To learn more about how we can help you, let’s meet for a free, no obligations initial consult. Schedule this meeting with us by calling 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page.
We represent clients in Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.