Choosing a Physical Therapist or Chiropractor after a Car Accident

July 1, 2013

Determining the type of treatment you should choose following a car accident can be challenging, and should be decided after seeking the advice of your physician. A physician can advise you if you should use a physical therapist or chiropractor to alleviate your pain.

Overview of Physical Therapy and Chiropractic Treatments

Physical Therapy

  • Physical therapists are highly skilled and trained to help you restore strength, flexibility, and function to severely damaged muscles and bones in such cases of traumatic brain injury, neck/back injuries such as stroke, or paralysis following an accident or surgery.
  • Physical therapists often work in conjunction with other medical professionals to assist their patients in achieving their maximum potential.  Unless a physical therapist also has a M.D. degree, they cannot write prescriptions.

Chiropractic Therapy

  • Chiropractors work with their patients to restore mobility and alleviate pain involving muscles and dislocated joints or bones caused by defects or injuries.  Their goal is restoring the body to normal function by adjusting and manipulating muscles and joints without invasive surgery or pain medications.  Unless they also have a M.D. degree, they are not licensed to write prescriptions, but often work in conjunction with a medical team of physicians.
  • Many patients with joint and/or muscle pain find their pain completely alleviated under the care of a chiropractor.

If you have been injured in a car accident, always seek medical advice from your treating physician. Your injuries and the long-term effects will determine if you should use a chiropractor or physical therapist.

Portland Car Accident Attorney

Savage Law in Portland has assisted hundreds of clients injured in car accidents involving negligence, or carelessness, to receive the maximum compensation for their injuries. Contact Savage Law for a free consultation today.

Categories: Blog