Personal Injury Settlements: 6 Important Facts to Know (Pt. 1)
August 18, 2014
When some type of negligence or recklessness causes you to suffer an injury or any damage, pursuing a personal injury lawsuit can be the best way for you to obtain financial compensation to pay for things like medical care, property repair bills and your living expenses (if your injuries have prevented you from working).
With personal injury settlements, however, there are some important things that people should know so that they have realistic expectations about their case and the process involved with securing these settlements.
In this three-part blog, we will highlight some of the more important facts that people should know when it comes to personal injury settlements. If you or a loved one has questions about these cases and your rights, don’t hesitate to contact the Portland personal injury lawyers at the Savage Law Firm. We are here for you and are happy to answer all of your questions about personal injury lawsuits and compensation.
Here What You Should Know about Personal Injury Settlements…
Fact 1 – Establishing negligence will be key to securing a personal injury settlement in your case.
In order to secure a personal injury settlement, it will first be necessary to prove that:
- Some party was negligent – In other words, this will usually require establishing that some party had a duty of care and failed to exercise a sufficient amount of care in the given circumstances.
- This negligence was responsible for causing your injuries.
Specifically, this can involve the need to:
- Further investigate the accident or incident that led to your injuries.
- Dig into the history of the negligent party (to see if the individual, company, etc. has a track record of acting negligently or recklessly).
- Hire expert witnesses to back up your claims.
Fact 2 – A personal injury settlement should cover your recovery costs.
In fact, the notion behind these settlements is that they should provide people with the financial means necessary to “make them whole again” or help them recover to the extent possible. To this end, personal injury settlements may include compensation that specifically covers the costs of:
- Past and future medical care, including any surgeries a person may need, any specialized medical equipment that may be necessary, rehabilitative care like physical therapy and even palliative care to try to improve the quality of a person’s life as much as possible
- Property repairs
- Lost wages
There may be other losses that personal injury settlements may cover, depending on the nature of a person’s case; therefore, it’s best to consult an experienced attorney to get some specific answers regarding the value of a particular case.
Don’t miss the additional installments of this blog series for our continued discussion of important facts you should know about personal injury settlements.
Portland Personal Injury Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm
Have you or a loved one suffered a personal injury? If so, you can count on the Portland personal injury attorneys at the Savage Law Firm to advocate your rights to compensation and justice. Since 1977, we have been working diligently to help our clients tell their stories in court, stand up to insurers and obtain the settlements they deserve.
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page.