Personal Injury Accident and Lawsuit FAQs (Part 3)
March 8, 2014
Wrapping up the three-part blog Personal Injury Accident and Lawsuit FAQs, the following provides some further information regarding personal injury claims. If you have other questions or would like some specific information about your situation, call our Portland personal injury attorneys today.
Q: How long will it take to resolve my case?
A: It depends. While this may be a frustrating answer, the fact is that different types of personal injury cases will take different amounts of time to resolve. Some of the factors that can affect how long it takes to resolve these cases include (but are not limited to):
- Whether a case can be settled prior to trial (More than 90 percent of all personal injury claims are settled prior to trial, according to industry experts).
- How complicated the nature of a person’s injuries are (as the investigations and evidence of more complicated can take longer to conduct/gather/present in court)
- Who the defendant in the case is (with more monied defendants – like big corporations – tending to prolong claims, as they have the resources draw cases out and may choose to do this in an effort to try to undercut victims’ compensation).
Q: What should services I expect from a lawyer?
A: While you should expect an experienced personal injury attorney to be effective at building you a strong case and presenting your case in any legal setting, you should also expect that your lawyer:
- Is available to answer questions about your case
- Provides you with upfront advice regarding your options
- Files all necessary legal paperwork in a timely fashion
- Will be your advocate at every stage of your case.
If an attorney is falling short of providing you with the services you need, contact our Portland personal injury lawyers. We have been known for providing each of our clients with superior legal services since 1977.
Q: How soon after an accident should I meet with a lawyer?
A: As soon as you are physically able to, it’s a good idea to consult with an attorney and get your case started. While getting your case started sooner (rather than later) is essential in order to ensure that the statute of limitations for your case doesn’t run out, it’s also crucial because, the longer you wait to file your claim, the more likely it is that:
- You will forget certain details regarding the accident.
- Witnesses to the accident will move and/or change their phone numbers (and will also forget some details of the accident).
- Other evidence, like photographs, will get lost or damaged.
- Medical bills and documentation regarding other expenses will get lost.
Any of these factors can make it more difficult to prove a claim and can, in turn, significantly impact the compensation you receive in a case.
Our Portland Personal Injury Lawyers Are Ready to Stand Up for Your Rights
If you have been injured and want to find out more about whether you have a case, the Portland personal injury attorneys at the Savage Law Firm want to meet with you. We are ready to discuss your rights and possible case during a free, no obligations initial consult. We represent clients in communities in both Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page.