Nursing Home Neglect & Bedsores: What You Should Know (Pt. 3)
December 15, 2014
Wrapping up our blog series Nursing Home Neglect & Bedsores: What You Should Know (Pt. 1), below, we will highlight the complications that can arise when bedsores are not properly treated, as well as injured people’s options for financial recovery when nursing home neglect has contributed to their loved one’s injuries.
Nursing Home Neglect & Bedsores: The Complications
Once bedsores have developed in nursing home residents, immediate treatment will be essential to preventing these sores from leading to other – far more serious – health problems, only some of which may include:
- Painful skin infections – Referred to as cellulitis, these skin infections can result in inflammation and severe swelling. Without prompt, appropriate treatments, cellulitis can result in fatal complications.
- Bone and joint infections – If infected bedsores spread to the joints and/or bones, people can start to experience severe pain and impairment of their joint mobility, as well as a loss of limb function. As with skin infections, bone and joint infections can be fatal without treatment.
- Sepsis – These blood infections, which require immediate treatment, occur when bacteria from bedsores enters the bloodstream, at which point the infection will spread all over the body. Without immediate treatment, sepsis can lead to organ failure and death.
- Malignancies – Specifically, an aggressive type of skin cancer can develop when bedsores are not appropriately treated. Typically, when this bedsore complication arises, people need to undergo surgery to remove the malignancies.
Nursing Home Neglect & Bedsores: Financial Recovery
When people recognize bedsores on their loved ones living in nursing homes, it will be critical that these people:
- Make sure their ailing loved ones are getting the necessary treatments as soon as possible (in order to prevent any of the above complications).
- Start asking nursing home staff questions about how their loved ones are being cared for in nursing homes.
- Consider consulting with an experienced attorney to find out more about their best options for financial recovery for their loved ones.
Portland Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm
Has your loved one developed bedsores or other signs of nursing home neglect or abuse? If so, it’s time to contact the Portland nursing home neglect and abuse attorneys at the Savage Law Firm. For more than 30 years, we have been devoted to helping our clients tell their stories in court, stand up to insurers and others and ultimately obtain the settlements they deserve.
At the Savage Law Firm, our commitment to meeting the highest professional standards of legal representation motivates us to consistently build our clients the strongest possible cases, be accessible to our clients at every stage of their case and do whatever it takes to help them obtain the best possible outcomes.
Contact Us Today
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page.
We represent clients in communities in both Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.