Motor Vehicle Accident Lawsuit FAQs (Pt. 3)
June 23, 2014
Below is the conclusion to our three-part blog Motor Vehicle Accident Lawsuit FAQs.
Q: How long after an accident do I have to file a lawsuit?
A: In Oregon, you will have two years from the date of the motor vehicle accident to file your case. Although this can seem like plenty of time, and some people may want to deal with their injuries before filing a case, don’t wait until the last minute to initiate your claim.
In fact, the sooner you take action, the more evidence there will likely be to support your claim – and, as a result, the stronger your case will likely be.
Q: What challenges or issues should I be prepared for?
A: The challenges or issues that can impact a particular case will vary from case to case. In general, however, some of the most common challenges that accident victims face when it comes to getting the compensation they deserve involve dealing with insurance companies, as insurers will usually be looking for ways to undercut compensation or deny claims entirely.
This is one of the reasons that it’s so important to have an experienced motor vehicle attorney fighting for your rights and standing up to insurers on your behalf.
Q: What should I bring when I meet with an attorney about my case?
A: If you have time to prepare for an initial consultation, do your best to get together all documents and evidence you have associated with the accident. Specifically, some of the important documents to bring with you can include:
- The police report for the accident
- Letters or any documents from your insurance company
- Pictures of the accident you have taken
- Any bills, reports or documents from your doctor regarding your injuries and treatments
- Repair orders, bills and other documents related to the damage to your vehicle and the necessary repairs
- Any documents from your employer regarding missed work or lost wages.
Portland Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm
Have you been hurt in a motor vehicle accident? If so, don’t hesitate to contact the Portland motor vehicle accident attorneys at the Savage Law Firm. Since 1977, we have been dedicated to providing each of our clients with personal attention, respect and the highest quality legal services.
We realize how devastating traffic accidents can be, and our lawyers are here to:
- Aggressively defend injured people’s rights to both justice and compensation
- Help our clients tell their stories in court
- Vigorously stand up to insurers and others to ensure that our clients are able to obtain the settlements they deserve.
‘Portland & Seattle Lawyers
Helping you recover from the financial setbacks caused by traffic accidents is one of our primary goals. Our Portland motor vehicle accident attorneys encourage you to learn more about your rights and case by setting up a free initial consult.
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page.
We represent clients in communities in both Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.