Medical Mistakes: The Prevalence of Malpractice in the U.S. (Pt. 2)
July 31, 2014
Continuing from Medical Mistakes: The Prevalence of Malpractice in the U.S. (Pt. 1), below, we will carry on our discussion regarding the incidence of medical negligence in American clinics, hospitals and other medical facilities. While the first part of this blog focused on pointing out researchers’ findings regarding how often medical mistakes occur, here we will take a closer look at people’s options after they have been injured by medical mistakes.
After Medical Mistakes: Filing Malpractice Lawsuits
We learned in the first installment of this blog that more than 440,000 people die each year as a result of medical negligence. What may be just as – if not more – shocking than this are the facts that:
- Tens of thousands of additional patients are seriously injured by the mistakes made by nurses, doctors, surgeons and other medical professionals.
- Many people who are the subjects of malpractice do not end up seeking justice to hold the negligent parties accountable. In fact, researchers have found that, despite the high incidence of medical negligence in the U.S., only a very small amount of malpractice lawsuits ever end up getting filed. As one study found, malpractice cases comprise less than 2 percent of all civil cases.
- About 97 percent of malpractice lawsuits that are filed are meritorious. This means that less than 3 percent of these cases are actually “frivolous.”
Although it’s unclear why so many of the people who are hurt by medical negligence do not end up pursuing justice via malpractice lawsuits, some have theorized that the following may be factors:
- People are unaware of their rights and the option of filing malpractice lawsuits.
- In some cases, people may not even realize that their injuries were, in fact, caused by medical negligence.
- People may accept settlements from insurance companies for doctors or hospitals before even exploring their legal options. In these cases, the insurers tend to offer injured patients are less than they deserve for their claims, and people may be unaware that, if they worked with an attorney, they would likely be able to secure the full amount of compensation to which they are entitled.
You Can Trust the Portland Malpractice Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm
Have you or a loved one been hurt by any type of medical negligence? If so, the Portland malpractice attorneys at the Savage Law Firm are here for you. Since 1977, we have been committed to providing each of our clients with personal attention, respect and the highest quality legal services.
At the Savage Law Firm, our commitment to meeting the highest professional standards of legal representation motivates us to consistently build our clients the strongest possible cases, be accessible to our clients at every stage of their case and do whatever it takes to help them obtain the best possible outcomes.
Contact Us Today
Our Portland malpractice attorneys encourage you to learn more about your rights and case by setting up a free initial consult.
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page.
We represent clients in communities in both Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.