Malnutrition, Dehydration & Nursing Home Neglect (Pt. 2)
July 18, 2014
Picking up from where Malnutrition, Dehydration & Nursing Home Neglect (Pt. 1) left off, below we will continue our discussion of how nursing home neglect may result in malnutrition and dehydration.
While the first part of this blog outlined some of the most common symptoms of malnutrition and dehydration, here we will connect the dots by explaining how the negligence or outright abuse from nursing home staff can cause these serious health complications.
How Nursing Home Staff’s Negligence Can Lead to Malnutrition & Dehydration
Some of the most common forms of negligence that can come at the hands of nursing home staff and can result in malnutrition and/or dehydration for residents include (but are not necessarily limited to) staff members’:
- Failure to regularly check on nursing home residents
- Failure to assist residents with eating and drinking when it’s known that people have impairments and need this assistance
- Outright physical, verbal, emotional and/or sexual abuse of residents, which can result in residents becoming depressed and no longer nourishing themselves.
Some of the factors that can increase the possibility that this type of negligence may occur can include:
- Staffing issues in nursing homes (In fact, some research has found that as many as 90 percent of all nursing homes in the U.S. are understaffed.)
- Lack of training for nursing home staff
- Nursing home administrators failing to conduct background checks on new hires (which could increase the risk of putting known abusers or predators in positions to harm nursing home residents)
- Nursing home residents having mental and/or physical impairments (which can limit their abilities to fight off abuse, speak up about neglect or even remember that they’ve been the subject of neglect or abuse).
Portland Nursing Home Neglect Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm
Do you think your loved one may have been the victim of nursing home neglect or abuse? If so, the Portland nursing home neglect attorneys at the Savage Law Firm are ready to fight for you. Since 1977, the Portland nursing home neglect attorneys at the Savage Law Firm have been devoted to providing each of our clients with personal attention, respect and the highest quality legal services.
At the Savage Law Firm, our commitment to meeting the highest professional standards of legal representation motivates us to consistently build our clients the strongest possible cases, be accessible to our clients at every stage of their case and do whatever it takes to help them obtain the best possible outcomes.
Contact Our Portland Nursing Home Neglect Lawyers Today
Helping you and your family recover from the financial setbacks caused by nursing home neglect injuries is one of our primary goals. Our Portland nursing home neglect attorneys encourage you to learn more about your rights and case by setting up a free initial consult. We represent clients in communities in both Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page.