Faulty Wiring Causes Home Fire, $80,000 in Damage
June 28, 2015
A house fire that erupted on Northeast Wasco Street in Portland this past Friday has been determined to have resulted from faulty wiring in the home, according to Portland Fire Department investigators.
Fire officials reportedly responded to an emergency call last Friday afternoon and found the home engulfed in flames, with fire reportedly shooting out of the top of the home’s roof. Although no one was in the home when the fire broke out, fire officials reportedly rescued three animals from the burning home – three dogs and a cat. About $80,000 in damage was caused by this electrical fire.
Options for Compensation after an Electrical Home Fire
In cases like this when an electrical fire breaks out in a home, the homeowners may have various options for compensation, depending on exactly how the fire broke out. In fact, just some of the parties that may be liable for compensating homeowners after such home fires can include:
- Contractors if they built the home with faulty or old wiring or they didn’t wire the home correctly/safely
- Electricians if their repair work contributed to the faulty wiring that led to the home fire
- Homeowners’ associations if these entities knew about (or should have been aware of) the faulty wiring and they did nothing to either repair the problems or warn people about them
- Product manufacturers if defective electric appliances somehow contributed to the home fire.
Home Fire Statistics Reveal Risks & Important Prevention Info
The following statistics from the U.S. Fire Administration reveal some important facts about the risk of home fires and what people can do to reduce their risk:
- About 4 in every 5 fire deaths results from a home fire.
- Those with the greatest risk of dying in a home fire include children younger than 5 and adults older than 65.
- The most common causes of home fires include cooking, careless smoking, heating, arson and faulty wiring/defective products.
- Although more than 90 percent of U.S. homes have smoke alarms/fire detectors, it’s common for people to not maintain these alarms, which can lead to them not working in emergency situations.
- Nearly 40 percent of home fires and upwards of 50 percent of home fire deaths are associated with hones that did NOT have smoke alarms.
Portland Personal Injury Attorney at the Savage Law Firm
Have you been harmed by a defective product? If so, it’s time to contact an experienced Portland personal injury attorney at the Savage Law Firm. Since 1977, our lawyers have been devoted to providing each of our clients with personal attention, respect and the highest quality legal services.
Our commitment to meeting the highest professional standards of legal representation motivates us to consistently build our clients the strongest possible cases, be accessible to our clients at every stage of their case and do whatever it takes to help them obtain the best possible outcomes.
Contact Us Today
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page. We represent clients in communities in both Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.
Categories: Personal Injuries