Distracted Driving Statistics for Distracted Driving Awareness Month (Part 1)
April 1, 2014
April 2014 marks the National Safety Council’s (NSC) Distracted Driving Awareness Month, which is intended to:
- Highlight the prevalence and dangers of distracted driving for American motorists
- Encourage drivers to focus on the task of driving
- Specifically discourage the use of cellphones and hands-free devices while driving.
To this end, the NSC has published a number of interesting and shocking statistics regarding distracted driving-related car accidents in the U.S. In honor of Distracted Driving Awareness Month, we will highlight some of these – as well as some other critical distracted driving statistics – to support this effort to help make the roadways safer for all motorists.
Distracted Driving Car Accident Statistics
- While about 90 percent of all car accidents are caused by some type of human error, the use of cellphones and hands-free devices (one of the most common forms of distracted driving) reportedly contributes to approximately 26 percent of all motor vehicle accidents that occur in the U.S. each year.
- The brain reportedly loses the ability to process about 1/3 of the images surrounding vehicles when people are talking on cellphones and are using hands-free devices. In turn, this can cause drivers to miss up to half of all of the important driving cues they need to process when they are trying to talk on phones while driving.
- When drivers try to text while driving, their risk of getting into a car accident increases by approximately 23 percent.
Be sure to check out the upcoming second part of this blog for some specific information regarding what you can do to support the NSC’s Distracted Driving Awareness campaign.
Contact the Portland Car Accident Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm
If you have been hurt in a car accident that was caused by a distracted or negligent driver, the Portland car accident attorneys at the Savage Law Firm are here to be aggressive advocates for you and your rights to compensation. Since 1977, our dedicated legal professionals have been devoted to standing up for victims’ rights, holding negligent drivers responsible for victims’ injuries and working tirelessly to help motor vehicle accident victims obtain the compensation and justice they deserve.
At the Savage Law Firm, our commitment to meeting the highest professional standards of legal representation motivates us to consistently build our clients the strongest possible cases, be accessible to our clients at every stage of their case and do whatever it takes to help them obtain the best possible outcomes.
Let’s Discuss Your Rights Today
Helping you recover from the financial setbacks caused by car accidents is one of our primary goals. Our Portland accident attorneys encourage you to learn more about your rights and case by setting up a free initial consult. We represent clients in communities in both Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page.