Birth Injury Facts and Statistics: An Overview (Pt. 2)
June 27, 2014
Picking up from where we left off in Birth Injury Facts and Statistics: An Overview (Pt. 1), below we will continue our discussion regarding the incidence of birth injuries in U.S. medical facilities.
While the first part of this blog focused on showcasing some of the statistics regarding the prevalence of birth injuries in the U.S., here, we will concentrate on pointing out some of the factors that can increase the risk of birth injuries.
Risk Factors for Birth Injuries
While birth injuries can happen in the best hospitals, under top doctors’ care or at any time, there are certain risk factors that can significantly increase the risk that birth injuries will occur. Specifically, some of the most common risk factors for birth injuries include (but are not exclusively limited to):
- Medical professionals’ being exhausted or overworked due to pulling double shifts
- Medical professionals being inexperienced or lacking the training necessary to identify some of the warning signs of birth injuries
- Medical facilities being understaffed (meaning that medical professionals are required to look after more patients and, therefore, may miss important warning signs of birth injuries)
- Medical professionals misdiagnosing the signs of potential birth injuries
- Medical professionals misusing certain tools or improperly performing procedures (like, for instance, vacuum extraction)
- Medical facilities lacking the equipment (or functional equipment) to properly mitigate the risk of birth injuries.
Warning Signs of Birth Injuries
Some of the specific indications that birth injuries may be likely to occur can include (but are not limited to):
- Signs of maternal distress – These can include elevated heart rates, drops in maternal blood pressure and abnormal bleeding.
- Signs of fetal distress – These can include changes in babies’ heart rates, decreased movement of babies and issues with the amniotic fluid.
Portland Birth Injury Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm
If your infant has suffered a birth injury, don’t hesitate to contact the Portland birth injury attorneys at the Savage Law Firm. Since 1977, we have been committed to providing each of our clients with personal attention, respect and the highest quality legal services.
We realize how devastating birth injuries can be for infants and their families, and our lawyers are here to aggressively defend these families’ rights to both justice and compensation.
At the Savage Law Firm, our commitment to meeting the highest professional standards of legal representation motivates us to consistently build our clients the strongest possible cases, be accessible to our clients at every stage of their case and do whatever it takes to help them obtain the best possible outcomes.
Contact Our Portland Birth Injury Lawyers Today
Helping your family recover from the financial setbacks caused by birth injuries is one of our primary goals. Our Portland birth injury attorneys encourage you to learn more about your rights and case by setting up a free initial consult.
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page. We represent clients in communities in both Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.