Birth Injury Facts and Statistics: An Overview (Pt. 1)
June 25, 2014
While birth injuries are always tragic events, they can be far more heartbreaking when families realize that their newborn’s injuries could have been prevented if not for the negligence of a doctor or another medical professional. The preventable nature of birth injuries may be just as distressful and unsettling as the prevalence of them.
Families whose newborns have suffered birth injuries should know that they can rely on the Portland birth injury lawyers at the Savage Law Firm to help them hold negligent parties responsible – and to get the compensation they need to treat their infants’ injuries in the long term.
The Prevalence of Birth Injuries: A Look at Birth Injury Statistics
The following birth injury statistics have been compiled and reported by various credible institutions, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Institutes of Health:
- Each year in the U.S., there are about 7 birth injuries for every 1,000 live births.
- This is equivalent to about 1 in every 9,700 births resulting in a birth injury and to about 28,000 birth injuries occurring each year in the U.S.
- In other words, this works out to about 2,333 birth injuries occurring each month, nearly 540 birth injuries taking place on a weekly basis, roughly 80 birth injuries happening every day, and about 3 birth injuries occurring each hour.
- The incidence of birth injuries is higher among male newborns than among female newborns. In fact, male babies are nearly 25 percent more likely to sustain birth injuries than female babies. Researchers have not yet been able to explain why this is the case.
- There is a greater incidence of birth injuries at public hospitals (as opposed to private hospitals) and at hospitals with more than 100 beds. In fact, as the number of beds in a hospital increases, so too does the likelihood of birth injuries.
Don’t miss the upcoming second installment of this blog for our continued discussion regarding birth injuries.
Portland Birth Injury Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm
If your infant has been diagnosed with a birth injury, don’t hesitate to contact the Portland birth injury attorneys at the Savage Law Firm. Since 1977, we have been committed to providing each of our clients with personal attention, respect and the highest quality legal services.
We realize how devastating birth injuries can be for infants and their families, and our lawyers are here to aggressively defend these families’ rights to both justice and compensation. While this means that our Portland birth injury lawyers will work diligently to help our clients tell their stories in court, it also means that our attorneys and dedicated staff will vigorously stand up to insurers and others outside of the courtroom to ensure that our clients are able to obtain the settlements they deserve.
Contact Us Today
Our Portland birth injury attorneys encourage you to learn more about your rights and case by setting up a free initial consult.
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page.
We represent clients in communities in both Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.