The Portland birth injury lawyers at the Savage Law Firm are experienced at determining when negligence may have caused a stillbirth.
STILLBIRTH – ATTORNEY FOR FETAL DEATH BEFORE BIRTH
Stillbirth occurs when babies die in the womb after 20 weeks of pregnancy. According to the March of Dimes Foundation, about 1 in every 160 pregnancies ends in a stillbirth. While these tragedies may occur because of a condition that the mother or fetus has, in some cases, stillbirths may take place because a doctor or another medical professional has made a grave mistake that has fatally injured the baby.
When medical mistakes play a role in causing fatal injuries to babies in the womb, the Portland birth injury attorneys at the Savage Law Firm will be ready to:
- Hold negligent medical professionals responsible for their actions.
- Advocate grieving families’ right to compensation.
- Help families obtain the justice they need and the compensation they deserve so they can focus on recovering from their grief.
Causes of Stillbirths
Although any number of factors can cause a stillbirth, some of the most common include:
- Birth defects, such as chromosomal or genetic disorders – Between 15 about 20 percent of stillbirths can be attributed to birth defects.
- Problems with the mother’s placenta, such as when the placenta separates partially or fully from the uterus – This is a greater risk for mothers who smoke or use cocaine during pregnancy, and about 1 in every 4 stillbirths can be attributed to placental problems.
- Maternal or fetal infections, such as urinary tract infections – Although some maternal or fetal infections may be asymptomatic (i.e., have no symptoms), when these infections have symptoms and are not promptly diagnosed and properly treated, medical professionals can be held liable for babies’ fatal birth injuries. Between 10 and 25 percent of stillbirths can be attributed to maternal or fetal infections.
- Birthing complications, such as any factor that would cut off a baby’s oxygen supply during the birthing process – When signs of maternal or fetal distress are not recognized or properly handled by medical professionals and babies consequently suffer fatal birth injuries, the negligent professionals can be held accountable through birth injury lawsuits.
Because it’s not always clear when negligence may have played a role in causing a stillbirth, it’s crucial that families who have lost their baby to this tragic complication consult with an experienced attorney at the Savage Law Firm to learn more about their potential case.
Portland Birth Injury Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm
For more than 30 years, the Portland birth injury attorneys at the Savage Law Firm have been devoted to providing each of our clients with personal attention, respect and the highest quality legal services.
We realize how devastating severe or fatal birth injuries can be for families, and our lawyers are here to aggressively defend their rights to both justice and compensation. While this means that our Portland birth injury lawyers will work diligently to help our clients tell their stories in court, it also means that our attorneys and dedicated staff will aggressively stand up to insurers and others outside of the courtroom to ensure that our clients are able to obtain the settlements they deserve.
Contact Our Portland Birth Injury Lawyers Today
Although we know that no amount of money can ever make up for the loss of your baby, obtaining the financial support you need and deserve in the aftermath of fatal birth injuries can be critical to covering medical expenses and living costs as you grieve the loss of your infant.
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page. We represent clients in Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.