About 1,400 pending DePuy ASR hip implant lawsuits filed against Johnson & Johnson’s (J&J) DePuy Unit may soon be settled, as the Settlement Oversight Committee has recently announced a $420 million settlement proposal. This DePuy ASR hip implant settlement offer specifically:
- Pertains to plaintiffs who had DePuy’s ASR hip implants and who underwent hip revision surgery (due to DePuy ARS implant complications) between August 31, 2013 and January 31, 2015
- Is open for enrollment until May 1, 2015 (i.e., plaintiffs have until the first of this May to enroll in this settlement program).
Details of the Proposed DePuy ASR Hip Implant Settlement
While the Settlement Oversight Committee will be publishing extensive details regarding the DePuy ASR hip implant settlement proposal at some point this month, here’s what is known so far about this offer:
- Base amount – Although a specific base amount for eligible plaintiffs has not yet been identified, a previous DePuy ASR hip implant settlement offer had a set base amount of $250,000 per plaintiff, and this may serve as a springboard for developing the base amount for the current settlement offer.Once the base amount is established, it may then be reduced or increased, based on the details of a given case (such as a person’s weight and smoking history, which could reduce the base amount, and the severity of the injuries sustained, which could increase the base amount if the injuries are more severe).
- Joining the settlement program – As noted above, plaintiffs who want to joint this DePuy ASR hip implant settlement program will have until May of this year to do so. In order to be accepted into the program, however, various medical documentation (and other supporting documents) will generally have to be submitted (to verify the nature and extent of people’s hip implant injuries).
- Target percentage – As part of this DePuy ASR hip implant settlement, DePuy has included a “walk away” option if a “target percentage” of enrollment in the settlement program is not achieved by a certain date. Although the specific target percentage has yet to be identified, it’s important for plaintiffs to be aware that the offer could be pulled off of the table in the future.
- Your options – If you are a plaintiff in the ongoing DePuy ASR hip implant litigation and you are eligible for this settlement offer, you can reject the offer – and you should do so if your specific offer will not sufficiently compensate you for your injuries and losses. To find out whether this may be the case – and to get some professional advice regarding your best options, contact the Savage Law Firm today.
As more news about the details of this DePuy ASR hip implant settlement offer become available, we’ll bring them to you in our blog.
Portland Hip Implant Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm
Have you developed complications after use of a defective DePuy hip implant device (or any manufacturer’s defective hip implant devices)? If so, you can rely on the Portland hip implant attorneys at the Savage Law Firm for experienced help and aggressive legal advocacy. For more than three decades, our lawyers have been devoted to providing each of our clients with personal attention, respect and the highest quality legal services, and they are ready to start helping you today.
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page. We represent clients in communities in both Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.