An Overview of MDL and Hip Implant MDLs (Part 1)
March 14, 2014
Product liability litigation focuses on holding the manufacturers of defective or dangerous products responsible for their negligence in failing to:
Adequately test the safety of their products
- Warn people about the possible risks associated with the use of their products.
For such litigation focused on medical devices, hip implants (or hip replacement devices) have been a particularly hot topic, as various manufacturers of these devices are alleged to:
- Have known about the high rates of early failure for these devices
- Have marketed these devices as safe and effective for hip replacement patients despite knowing about the serious dangers associated with these devices
- As a result, endangered the lives of many patients.
What is Multidistrict Litigation?
As news of the problems with hip implants became more widely publicized and reports of hip implant injuries continued to grow, an increasing number of injured patients filed product liability lawsuits against the negligent manufacturers of these devices. The snowballing lawsuits eventually lws to many cases being consolidated into multidistrict litigation (MDL).
MDL is a way for courts and litigants (i.e., the plaintiffs and defendants) to speed up the pretrial process associated with product liability cases. It effectively allows:
- The evidence gathering process for multiple cases to take place at once (i.e., multiple litigants in separate cases can benefit from a single evidence-gathering process, which is officially known as the discovery process).
- The court to only have to make rulings regarding these cases once, which not only saves the resources of the court but also ensure that consistent rulings are made for these cases (e.g., the ruling on a specific issue doesn’t differ in different courts across the U.S.).
Be sure to look for the upcoming second part of this blog for some specific information regarding what MDLs have been set up for hip implant lawsuits, as well as where these hip implant MDLs are taking place.
Our Portland Hip Implant Lawyers Welcome You to A Free Initial Consult
If you or a loved one has sustained a hip implant complication, the Portland product liability attorneys at the Savage Law Firm encourage you to learn more about your rights and case by setting up a free initial consult. Helping you recover from the financial setbacks caused by defective medical devices like hip implants is one of our primary goals. We represent clients in Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.
To learn more about our legal services and how we can help you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page.
More about Our Portland Hip Implant Lawyers
The Portland hip implant attorneys at the Savage Law Firm are committed to providing each of our clients with personal attention, respect and the highest quality legal services. We understand how devastating a personal injury can be on a physical, as well as a psychological and financial, level, and our lawyers are here to aggressively advocate injured people’s rights to both justice and compensation.
This means that our Portland hip implant lawyers will work relentlessly to help our clients tell their stories in court. It also means that our attorneys and dedicated staff will vigorously stand up to insurers and others outside of the courtroom to ensure that our clients are able to secure the settlements they deserve.