6 Facts to Know about Pedestrian Accidents (Pt. 2)
May 19, 2014
Continuing from 6 Facts to Know about Pedestrian Accidents (Pt. 1), below are a few more interesting facts about these accidents.
Fact 3: Alcohol impairment is often involved in pedestrian accidents.
Approximately 47 percent of fatal pedestrian accidents involved alcohol impairment, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports. While about 1 in every 3 of these cases involved pedestrians reportedly having blood alcohol concentrations (BACs) greater than 0.08 (the legal limit for driving), most of these cases involved the drivers being intoxicated.
Intoxication is such a significant problem when it comes to pedestrian accidents (as well as various other types of motor vehicle accidents) because it substantially increases the chances that the intoxicated individual will:
- Fail to be sufficiently perceptive when it comes to his surroundings, road conditions and appropriate responses
- Be distracted
- Have impaired reaction times when it comes to doing things like stepping on the brakes.
Fact 4: Aside from intoxication, other forms of driver negligence are also often involved in causing pedestrian accidents.
Tragically, most pedestrian accidents are caused by some type of driver negligence. This effectively means that, in most cases, the injuries or deaths of pedestrians could have been prevented if not for a driver’s negligent behaviors.
Some of the specific forms of driver negligence that commonly play a role in causing pedestrian accidents include (but are not necessarily limited to):
- The use of cellphones, GPS and/or hands-free devices when driving
- Eating while driving and other forms of driver distraction
- Reckless driving, such as the intentional choice to violate traffic laws
- Driver fatigue, which tends to be more common among truck drivers who are the roads for long driving shifts.
Don’t miss the final part of this blog for a few more fascinating facts about pedestrian accidents!
Portland Pedestrian Accident Lawyers at the Savage Law Firm
Have you or a loved one been injured in a pedestrian accident? If so, the Portland pedestrian accident attorneys at the Savage Law Firm are ready to fight for you. For more than three decades, our laywers have been devoted to providing each of our clients with personal attention, respect and the highest quality legal services.
We realize that pedestrian accidents can be devastating on a physical, psychological and financial level; that’s why our lawyers are here to aggressively defend injured pedestrians’ rights to both justice and compensation. This means that our Portland pedestrian accident lawyers will work diligently to help our clients:
- Tell their stories in court
- Build the strongest possible cases
- Vigorously stand up to insurers and others outside of the courtroom
- Obtain the best possible outcomes to their cases – including the highest possible settlements for their injuries and losses.
Portland & Seattle Lawyers
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page.
We represent clients in communities in both Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.