500,000 Ford, Lincoln Vehicles Recalled due to Faulty Door Latches
May 4, 2015
Within the past two weeks, Ford Motor Co. has recalled more than 540,000 vehicles in the U.S. due to faulty door latches that could cause the doors to open while the vehicles are in motion. The vehicles specifically impacted by this recall include:
- All model year 2013 Ford Fusions
- Some 2012 to 2014 Ford Fiestas and Lincoln MKZs
- Some 2014 Ford Fusions and Lincoln MKZs.
According to Ford, there have been two reported incidents of the faulty latches failing to engage, allowing vehicle doors to swing open while the vehicles were moving. While one of these incidents reportedly led to the driver being injured when the door swung back hitting him, the other resulted in property damage when the door hit another person’s vehicle.
Now, regulators at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) are encouraging vehicle owners to:
- Look out for possible mailed recall notices.
- Check if their vehicle(s) are affected by the recall via the NHTSA’s online VIN lookup tool.
- Respond ASAP to the recall and get the faulty door latches fixed to reduce the risk of injury.
NHTSA’s Recommendations for Vehicle Owners
In addition to recommending the above, the NHTSA is also informing motorists who own vehicles impacted by the recent Ford recall to do the following:
- Do NOT drive a vehicle if you cannot close its doors.
- Do NOT try to make temporary fixes to faulty door latches by, for instance, trying to tie doors shut with ropes and/or having passengers try to hold them closed.
- Have vehicles towed to repair shops (to have the faulty latches fixed) whenever you notice the latches are becoming problematic (or ASAP).
- If a door swings open while you are driving, pull over immediately and refrain from driving the vehicle. Instead, get it towed to a repair shop to have the faulty latches fixed.
- ALWAYS wear your seatbelt and encourage your passengers to do the same. This is the single most effective thing you can do to protect yourself in the event a faulty door latch disengages (and/or a collision is imminent).
Portland Personal Injury Lawyer at the Savage Law Firm
Have you been injured by defective vehicle equipment – or by any dangerous consumer product? If so, you can rely on a Portland personal injury lawyer at the Savage Law Firm for experienced help and aggressive legal advocacy. For more than three decades, our lawyers have been devoted to providing each of our clients with personal attention, respect and the highest quality legal services.
Contact Us Today
Helping you recover from the financial setbacks caused by defective and dangerous products is one of our primary goals. Our Portland personal injury attorneys encourage you to learn more about your rights and case by setting up a free, no obligations initial consult with us today.
To learn more about our legal services and what we can do for you, call us at 503-222-0200 (in Portland) or at 206-957-7272 (in Seattle). You can also email us using the form on this page. We represent clients in communities in both Oregon and Washington from our offices in Portland and Seattle.
Categories: Product Liability